interested in Red jungle fowl

I am not aware of any non-game gamefowl. You might come close if you can get some feral birds from Florida or the Island of Kauai in Hawaii. The gamefowl have been selected in part, to thrive in close proximity to humans. All chickens are derived from crosses between jungle fowl species. Almost certainly the adaptions include being able to gamble on human activity providing protection. By human activity I mean structures and agriculture. Not all gamefowl are well suited for cold climates. Some have been selected for endurance under conditions of high temperature and humidity; Orientals follow that pattern.
Ok thanks, maybe I should try getting hybridized red jungle fowl and slowly breed introduce them to there new environment. What do you think?. Are there more natural behaving game chickens that you know of that don't kill each other. I have read old threads that say cackle hatcherys rjf are old english game birds bred to look like rjf. The reviews show a picture of two roosters sitting together. Do you think these birds are any good. I have yet to see them in stock.

Ok thanks, maybe I should try getting hybridized red jungle fowl and slowly breed introduce them to there new environment. What do you think?. Are there more natural behaving game chickens that you know of that don't kill each other. I have read old threads that say cackle hatcherys rjf are old english game birds bred to look like rjf. The reviews show a picture of two roosters sitting together. Do you think these birds are any good. I have yet to see them in stock.
I do not know the actual composition of Cackle Hatcheries Red Jungle Fowl. I am confident they have some actual Red Jungle Fowl in them based on appearance and behavior. They are decidedly crow like in terms of intelligence. They can be tamed and trained like games I have. I know the owner / manager of Cackle so will ask him what their marketed "Red Jungle Fowl" is composed of. This not first time the question has been brought up. Get yourself some of Cackles rjf's and a game cock to create your own cross. They will have enough of what you are looking for in terms of behavior minus the flightiness if you take time to tame them as chicks. I could easily have used the hybrids for my extension work as train up just like my games. Learn fast and retain it for years.

The only problem now is they have been out of stock for almost two years. I have been looking at hatching eggs for sale on eBay, but I'm taking a big risk if I decide to get those. I have some what flighty game bantams that I could cross breed with the rjf. The OEGBs are vary winter hardy as last year one hen decided she was going to fly way up in the trees on a -40degree night. The next morning she was back in the barn with zero frostbite and was fine. The reason why I want something else to cross breed with them is because they are not that wild and they are lacking some natural nesting behaviors. The good thing I like about them is they lay eggs more like a red junglefowl, only about 12 to 18 eggs a year. They are becoming more inbred year after year now one of the chicks have six toes on one foot, but It doesn't limit her at all. The farmer that I got them from said the chickens only require food during the winter which I really like. They seem to hold cover well to.

The "Red Jungle Fowl" line Cackle Hatchery has was infused with some brown leghorn prior to 25 years ago (per phone conversation). Based on individual bird size of Cackle's line and assuming no selection for size, the brown leghorn represents less than half what makes up the line. The feathering of tail being so showy indicates the addition coming from the domestic.

I need to find a pure Red Jungle Fowl myself, just one to make some non-game show birds.

Birds in winter temps like that will be far less than wild. They will be hanging around waiting for food.

Birds in winter temps like that will be far less than wild. They will be hanging around waiting for food.
yes I agree I'm going to provide care for the cold days food water beding. Im looking for a bird to be as self reliant during the summer months.

yes I agree I'm going to provide care for the cold days food water beding. Im looking for a bird to be as self reliant during the summer months.
What is the difference between what you’re looking for and just having a coop that you leave open so the birds can do their thing all day long then have a place to sleep at night out of the weather?
I have birds the were born in the woods on the ground yet as they got older chose to sleep in a coop or pen at night.
I don’t care what anyone says either if you aren’t killing a ton of raccoons, possums, foxes etc. you’ll lose every single bird. I’m not talking 5-6 raccoons I’m talking like 30-40 a year, same goes for possums. Foxes much less but it doesn’t take more than one to decimate your flock.
Many people you might get advice from won’t tell you just how many birds they actually lose.

Back
Top Bottom