Interested in showing... Where do I start?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tadyergey, May 16, 2011.

1. tadyergey

tadyergey Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Nokesville, VA
    My Coop
    My kids want to show our birds at the county fair. Where do I begin?

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Well first off think to yourself, are you wanting to go far with this, or just for fun?

If you're wanting to go far with this you're not going to watch hatchery chicks. They're usually not the best of quality. In some cases you can get a nice one in some cases not.
    Find a breeder at one of the fairs, they can help you with getting you some nice chicks.

Second, look over your birds and find the qualifications for showing. I.e. for Polish you want to make sure the crest is large and not lopsided etc.
    If you're birds okay, then just go for the fun of it!! Clean them up and go have a good time.

3. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree with QualityPolish. Also since a county fair is normally late summer or fall I would find some Chicken shows to go to and talk to exhibitors before the fair.
    Find out how they transport,feed,water etc. Check out the breeds and there may be something at the show to buy too. Do a lot of homework. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by