Interesting article on clover

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by swimmom, Jun 21, 2009.

1. swimmom

swimmom Songster

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    I read this interesting article on clover this morning after feeding some to my chickies and finding that they were gaga for it.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but thought it was a good read.

http://www.rps.psu.edu/0305/poultry.html

2. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    [​IMG] Thanks for the read - I bookmarked it. Our chickens are free range and the majority of our property is clover, clover, and more clover. Our chickens LOVE it and these areas are their favorites. When will people wise up and go back to a more natural way of doing things? You are what you eat!

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Songster

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    We have tons of clover. Our horses and birdies just love it all. Dandelions too.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have been thinking about overseeding my lawn with white clover. My ducks forage on it every day. This could be good for two reasons....one...more snacks for the ducks...two...less mowing [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  5. SandyRiverChick

SandyRiverChick Songster

Jun 7, 2009
    Brightwood, OR
    My chickens are so into clover that they've got a routine with the bees - they move on when they spot a bee and then come back to chow when the bee leaves. Ahhh peace and harmony between bee and chicken....
    [​IMG]

6. cybercat

cybercat Songster

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Thanks for reminding me I need to harvest some of our red clover for my chicks not that it has stopped raining.

7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I always pick clover for my girls, since they are afraid of the 'big yard'. They love it and cluck happily whenever I bring it.

8. Autumn Mama

Autumn Mama Songster

Mar 15, 2009
    British Columbia,
    Great article! I will be picking handfuls tomorrow for the chooks, and conspiring as to where I can grow some to have available most of the year! If I can get a chook tractor built soon, they can range on the clover-patched lawn, too!

9. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Quote:Thanks for posting this! My kids built a chicky-play-pen that they put the "kids" in out in the yard. Now I can show them the clover patches and let them know they are safe treats.

Now EVERBODIES happy!!! Yeah!!!

Michelle

10. MainelySeramas

MainelySeramas Songster

Feb 24, 2009
    Great article! I pick clover and dandelion leaves and dry them out for winter treats. They also get to enjoy the bounty now!
    Thanks for posting![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: