Interesting breed/color of white egg layer?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lecobb, Jul 12, 2011.

1. lecobb

lecobb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2010
    I know I want a white egg layer in my flock, but the breeds i've seen haven't been terribly interesting. Can anyone point out some that have interesting colors or are otherwise a unique breed?

One that did catch my eye is the Exchequer Leghorns:
    [​IMG]
    (Picture is Peachick's)

Also, i'm not interested in bantams.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  2. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Most of your Mediterranean, Continental, and Miscellaneous Class breeds are white egg layers... Hamburgs, Polish, Sultans, Leghorns, Minorcas, Andalusians, Houdans, Anconas, Crevecoeurs, Campines, Lakenvelders, Sicilian Buttercup, White Faced Black Spanish, etc.

ETA: some of the above may lay white to off white eggs (don't have my standard to look them up right now).

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  3. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    The Exchequer Leghorns have also caught my eye.

I have Brabanters which I love. Similar crests can be found on the Appenzeller Spitzhauben.

Another breed I would like to try is the Norwegian Jaerhon- they're not as flashy, but something about their appearance appeals to me.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    have one Hamburg rooster; we love him. He's beautiful to look at . Black and white with sickle tail feathers. A quick and jaunty guy. I'd love to have more of him. He's a Silver Speckled Hamburg. Very rare--but can be found thru breeders and a few hatcheries.

5. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    My favorite white egg layers are definately Polish. They are very unique chickens, and little clowns that always make me laugh. They come in some great colors....the laced varieties are particularly striking. Here is one of my girls.
    [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by