Interesting case of sick silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kellyann56, Feb 13, 2019.

1. kellyann56

kellyann56 Hatching

Feb 13, 2019
    ok. To start off, when this happened I was new to chickens so whatever huge mistakes I made then, I’m aware of now.

About 6 months ago I looked at my silkie flock and saw a hen with plugged nostrils. Their pen is dusty so I thought I’d just take them out. So I took some tweezers and tried to pull it (probably should not have not). It started bleeding so I put some hydrogen peroxide on it. However, a bit later I found that her nose was a lot worse so I separated her and put hyrgogen peroxide on it. Everything went downhill from there. It looked like it spread? Her nostrils became huge and plugged terribly, her eyes became bubbly and whatever was in her nose spread to her mouth.

I gave her antibiotics and put Vet RX on her nose but it didn’t get better. She was still very alert and ate and drank fine. I stopped giving antibiotics and just took care of her. I tried a small period where I have her denaguard and that didn’t work. I was told her symptoms sounded like canker however I never saw any of my other birds get this so I didn’t want to give up on her.

6 months later, I moved her to a new pen and within a week she was perfect! Nothing on her what so ever. She even started laying which had not happened for that whole half a year.

It’s been a good month or more since she got better so my question is what was it? And is it safe to put her back with her pen? I’d imagine she was lonely without her roo and I’d love to put her back however I don’t want to risk my other birds getting sick.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Chirping

Jan 16, 2019
    You should put her back in
    It’s great she recovered
    You learn from mistakes image.jpg

kellyann56 likes this.
  3. Ms Clucky

Ms Clucky In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2019
    Ya I would put her back in the pen. Mine I think died of loneliness cause we had to give her rooster away. She was a blue silkie and her name was Dustie. She was very sweet.:hit

kellyann56 likes this.
  4. kellyann56

kellyann56 Hatching

Feb 13, 2019
    Awww I’m so sorry to hear that. This one is Blue also. She’s in a shed that has another of my “special” birds in it so they at least talk to each other

Raenh likes this.
  5. Raenh

Raenh Crowing

Jul 29, 2017
    Tomball, Texas
    Maybe it was something in the old pen that needs cleaned out and disinfected?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: