Interesting Color- How do I keep this going?

Birch Run Farm

Biddy up!
11 Years
Sep 5, 2008
VERMONT
I am not sure what color combination this LF araucana cockerel is exhibiting or what to even call it. I did not breed him so I do not know what his back ground is but he looked like a normal BBR as a hatchling. He had two brothers that I culled as they had tails so this one probably has a tail gene. None of them were tufted. I like his coloring a lot and would like to keep it going. His saddle feathers are actually more yellow than they appear in the photo. I have several black araucana pullets, one white and another funny colored chick that looks like it is a pullet to try working with.

Recent
IMG_1582.jpg

This was taken a few weeks ago
weirdcolor.jpg

This is the odd colored pullet:

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

The above pullet has a pretty wild colored brother who has a tuft. They too looked like BBR chicks when hatched other than she was somewhat silvery colored and the brother was more gold colored.

So I am looking for comments on color and who to try pairing him with. I am finding I prefer the more interesting color combinations rather than the breed standard colors.

To get more males like the male you would have to cross him with a wild type female or a wild type silver female. You have one chance in 8 of getting a male like him.

To breed more males like him, you would need one bird to be splash (could be the male or female),both birds to be wild type, and one bird to be silver and the other bird to be gold. Every male produced from the second cross would look similar to the male you have in the picture.

Tim

Last edited:
Thanks much Tim, would this odd pullet be close to wild type or silver? Here is a pic of her and her littermates. She is the silver BBR type.

7-17hatch.jpg

And she with her brother several weeks ago. Their black littermate was killed by another hen so I never got to see what color it actually ended up to be.

weird3.jpg

I have several hatches from the same parents and most of the chicks have been black, some all black, some with bleed through colors. These two chicks are the only ones so far that provided such strange colors.

I can see why you'd want to keep that color pattern going, he's beautiful!

I hate to sound ignorant, but these abbreviations sometimes stump me. There are so many breeds and terms, it isn't always obvious to me. (until I find out what it is, then it's obvious) What's LF? and BBR?

your rooster is a blue golden duckwing color (Called that in OEGBs), which is developed by crossing a Black breasted red to a silver duckwing. which turns the silver duckwings yellowish, THEN a blue is bred to them. producing that color.. now you dont have these colors so you-Breed him to the hen that matches his color the most,then you take the PULLET out of that mating. that matches his color best, and breed that to him. now this should be his color or close. if not quite. do it again. so it will become his color, ONCE you get the color you want. breed brother/sister. and see what it produces. if it doesn't produce nothing horrible (bad colors. or type or something if you breed for shows). take the brother/sister out of that. do it again. still good. take brother sister out of that. (3 generations). THEN stop. dont do it again or it will go horrible... this locks the traits and color in so they maintain it.... from there you take the chicks out of that and breed to the mom/father, or grandfather/grandmother. and the flock that comes out of that. you can breed together.. they'll all have the color then.

then again. if you get the color "and breed that to him. now this should be his color or close. if not quite. do it again. so it will become his color, ONCE you get the color you want." then just breed out of that pair. and maybe take a pullet or two out of that mating and cross into him so your not just breeding out a bunch of brothers/sisters and have to worry about breeding later once the original pair dies

-Daniel

Not sure how to advise you on breeding -- just thought I'd let you know that I got this similar-looking fellow from breeding a GDW roo with a white hen:

bluegold1small.jpg

He has a few female siblings that appear pure blue.

EDITED TO ADD:

Here are a few of his full-blooded siblings (don't have any pics of the blue females):

harry4small.jpg

splash1small.jpg

buff12small.jpg

The genetics of this are totally beyond me. :|

Last edited:
Quote:
I would cross the silver female that is leaking red with your male. You will have one chance in 8 of getting a male that looks similar to your male.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom