Interesting day in the button quail world...

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
Well, it's been exciting. So far 14 BQ chicks have hatched. In order to make room for the new ones in the brooder, I moved one 3 week old in with 3 7 weekers. One of the 7 weekers had its ears picked, so I moved it and a 3 week old into a separate cage (they are both white). Today I noticed that I hadn't seen the 3 weeker that was in with the 7 weekers. Found it hiding and noticed that its eye had been picked out. I feel horrible. I put some antibiotic ointment on it and put it in with the two white "misfits". It started eating and drinking right away. Hopefully it will be ok; they seemed to all be getting along fine.
hit.gif

I didn't realize how cruel they could be. I noticed on Sunday that the white 7 weeker was bleeding - they had tried to peck its ears out on both sides! So that is why it's in a separate cage with the 3 week old white one, and now the little one-eyed guy. My little cage of misfits...If only I hadn't subject it to that...

Oh, I had to have a cage of "misfits" for 4 of my baby chicks this spring, too. They were getting de-feathered by the others so badly, I had to separate them, too! They all did so much better then & their feathers finally grew back, thankfully, They almost looked like those "naked neck Turkens" for a while though! LOL
lol.png

You are a very caring owner, I think, to even have a "misfit cage!"
big_smile.png

Thanks! I'm happy to report that the 3 little misfits are getting along very well. When I checked on them this morning, they were all huddled together sleeping, and the little One-Eye got up and immediately started eating - I'm so relieved!!!

My hatch turned out well too - #15 hatched this morning and I'm hoping for a few more stragglers. Not too shabby out of 30 shipped eggs!!

Are you shure they're not bonking their heads? I have seen many bleeding ears from heat bonking in buttons. Just wondering
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom