Interesting egg shell

Angelfishie

Songster
Jul 24, 2019
Beggs, OK
One of my flock laid this pretty egg today. Not sure what breed, but I thought it was interesting because of the lighter spots. I have several breeds: buff Orpington, Welsummer, gold lace Wyandotte, cinnamon queen, light Brahma, and EE. I can eliminate EE because all six of them lay either pale blue or a couple different greens. I know at least one of my two Welsummers lays a dark brown with chocolate spots. Any guesses?

Attachments

• 9A157717-0E7C-4166-9D1B-626AEB373DCD.jpeg
    9A157717-0E7C-4166-9D1B-626AEB373DCD.jpeg
    675.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 6E6FE252-3E9E-4699-8FBC-78121A931C89.jpeg
    6E6FE252-3E9E-4699-8FBC-78121A931C89.jpeg
    723.7 KB · Views: 8
One of my flock laid this pretty egg today. Not sure what breed, but I thought it was interesting because of the lighter spots. I have several breeds: buff Orpington, Welsummer, gold lace Wyandotte, cinnamon queen, light Brahma, and EE. I can eliminate EE because all six of them lay either pale blue or a couple different greens. I know at least one of my two Welsummers lays a dark brown with chocolate spots. Any guesses?

That's really pretty. I've gotten both light and dark speckles sometimes from different hens but the only chicken that ever consistently had patterned eggs was a Black Langshan, whose eggs were best described as "pixelated".

'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.

I have 2 welsummer hens and they lay brown eggs, quite a bit darker than yours, but both are kinda speckled

I have an EE that lays eggs like this.

Back
Top Bottom