1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

interesting egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bkbuz1987, Oct 7, 2008.

1. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My young Ameraucana layed this today. Smooth tiffany blue on one half sand paper ruff darker blue on other half. My flock is on the last day of Terramycin because of mystery illnness that killed one bird and made another close to death before treatment. They are also getting electrolytes and have had a breakfast of yogurt bread mash for a few days.

What do you think and have you had an egg that felt like sand paper before?

[​IMG]

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

OUCH! I've seen some that are bumpy/rough on the outside, but not quite sandpaper...

3. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    No one has had ruff sandpaper like shells? Hmmm [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  4. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    We get sandpaper shells every once in a while. Usually the 'sandpaper' part is much more pronounced on one end of the egg. We've always written it off to the chicken eating something out of the ordinary. It typically happens once or twice, and then the chicken goes back to normal. I'm not aware of it being a problem, but I always feel sorry for the girl who laid it! LOL!

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

All I know about them is they taste as good as the rest [​IMG]

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i have gotten the sandpaper shell. It mainly happens in new layers. It's like everything doesn't get sprayed on smoothly. i've also had it happen at times with hens who have been laying a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by