Interesting Eggs-- a Jumbo & a GIANT

chickmamato7

Songster
Aug 13, 2020
Rochester, NY
Feeling sorry for one of my SLW's this week... first she laid the biggest egg I have ever seen & the next day she laid another giant that was even bigger. Middle egg is for comparison. Can't wait to see what's inside!

Attachments

• IMG_5605.jpg
    IMG_5605.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 11
IDK! I don't eat eggs, so I gave them to my nephew with instructions to take pics when he cracks them open. Now I'm regretting that decision & thinking I should get them back before he cracks them-- I wish I had measured and weighed the largest one and want to count the yolks myself. I'm pretty sure it was at least 4 inches long. Maybe I'll even blow it out and save the shell! That's what I did with my first egg:)

Very nice! Is she a new layer? Typically these eggs are caused by multiple yolk being released together and having shell and all formed around them. Seeing multiple eggs like that is not uncommon. If she’s new to all this, her body is still working out the kinks and may produce a lot of glitches before things are running smooth.
Yep. She was the last one to start laying, so I figure she's been laying for about 2-1/2 to 3 weeks.

So I guess I'm a crazy chicken lady for real. I went and got those eggs back so I could take measurements and break them open carefully to count the yolks:

The largest was 4 inches top to bottom, with a 5-3/4 inch circumference. The smaller one was 3.5 inches, with a 5-3/4 circumference. Both weighed roughly the same, about 3 oz each.

Forgot to mention that both eggs had double yolks
I got a 88 gram egg from my BO. I weigh my in grams. So that is almost 4 oz or a quarter of a pound. 70 Grams is a Jumbo. I get a fair amount of 70+ eggs from my WLH but have gotten a double or triple yolk . I was feeling 20 dozen and month before the molt and I don't know if any of those were double or triple. Good luck with your birds.

Back
Top Bottom