Interesting looking rooster, how would one replicate him?

Kung_pao

Songster
Jan 22, 2023
I hatched this Whiting True Blue rooster this spring with several blue, and blue and red hens. I also have several other hens that hatched out and more I bought from Murray McMurray. Out of all my roosters he’s the only one I liked, to me he is very unique. Unfortunately I don’t know much about chicken genetics, and these being mutts, I doubt anyone can really help me to create more birds that look like this. Does anyone know if any of his traits will carry over if crosses to blue, black or splash hens? He’s looking a little rough, but I think when he’s grown and molted out he’s going to be awesome.
71729152084__4293F01A-FC5A-4529-AB91-1575890E1A52.jpeg
IMG_6366.jpeg
IMG_6365.jpeg

At a gander, he looks like just a leaky blue cuckoo.

If any of your blue or black hens show gold leakage as well, they'd be a good match for him. Even if they don't show leakage, they should work. The chicks would likely just have less leakage than he does.

Depending on whether he's single or double barred, you could get 50-100% cuckoo offspring. You'd get 50% blue chicks either way if you bred him to a blue or black. From there on out, it'd be easy to breed; just select for the birds who're cuckoo, blue, and show leakage.

1695602944965.png
1695603002385.png

just because I may not be explaining things well.

I think the only part that may present as a real challenge would be the leakage. The more you select for it, the more it'll show up. Gold hackle and saddle feathers, namely. If you're just wanting it to leak through the wing bow, that *may* be a bit more complicated to select for.

Back
Top Bottom