Interesting perspective!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by thespinningcottage, Jun 16, 2010.

1. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    I found this anonymous paragraph in an old stack of adult education writing samples. It's obviously from a farm wife who took classes to better herself. Great amusing perspective on chicken raising, verbatim from the hand-written copy. It made me smile and think about a time when people raised chickens out of pure necessity, not necessarily for enjoyment:

"Many things can happen to a chiken. It is born out of an egg, lives for a few weeks as a tiny fluffy thing, then becomes hideously naked, eats quantities of corn and meal, gets diseases called pip, cholera, and other names, stands looking with stupid eyes at the sun, becomes sick and dies. A few hens and now and then a rooster, mate. The hens lay eggs out of which come other chickens and the dreadful cycle is thus made complete."

2. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Heh heh heh.......sounds like she was ready to be something other than a farm wife. She sure had a realistic view of chickenhood.
    Slinky

3. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    What kind of chickens she raisin? Nekkid?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by