Quail are not chickens!

Pics
I have 3 families of jumbo browns and it's interesting that they don't all behave the same. They have all been treated exactly the same at all steps, but, you wouldn't know it from watching. 2 groups are flighty as is normal for quail. But, the third is very calm and wait eagerly for treats. They will jump out to meet me if I'm not careful. And when I place something into the cage, I may have to push them out of the way. They aren't at all scared and act very much like pets. I want more of these.
Did the 3 groups come from the same source or all different lines?

My jumbo pearl fee from SW is my sweetest bird. She follows me around the aviary every time I’m in there, lets me pet her, and even lets me pick her up. My jumbo falb fee from SW is my most nervous bird and absolutely hates me. My 3 jumbo pharaohs from a local breeder are all somewhere on the spectrum in between those 2.

One of my families (1 rooster and 4 hens) looks terrible. Their backs have been bare for months, no blood, but, no feathers either. You'd think it was the rooster doing it, but, if you look closer, one single hen has a perfect back still. She is the one bouncing around the cage, climbing the walls, and walking over the backs of everyone else including the rooster. Time for a change there.

One of my families (1 rooster and 4 hens) looks terrible. Their backs have been bare for months, no blood, but, no feathers either. You'd think it was the rooster doing it, but, if you look closer, one single hen has a perfect back still. She is the one bouncing around the cage, climbing the walls, and walking over the backs of everyone else including the rooster. Time for a change there.
Try giving them some higher protein for a while.

Back
Top Bottom