interesting processing detail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ChickenChaps, Jun 16, 2011.

1. ChickenChaps

ChickenChaps Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Malabar, FL
    Last week I processed 22 coturnix roosters. Easy job compared to chickens!

Last night I processed 34 more, roosters and hens.

I caught 46 of them so I could pick and choose who to keep. This was about 3:30-4:00. There were only 3 eggs. I put them all in a cage I built for the chukar, waited for the rain to clear, go out about 5:30-6:00 to start processing and about 13 eggs were in the cage.

As I was pulling out the innerds, I found eggs in different stages of being formed! It was so interesting!
    One, as I was holding the bird pulling the skin and feathers off, plop! an egg falls out. [​IMG]
    Another one, the egg was formed, but didnt have the shell yet.
    Another I found a completely formed yolk ball with nothing else yet wrapped around it.

I found that to be so very fascinating. Just wanted to share. [​IMG]

2. dgecko

dgecko Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    you have been to the egg plant now
    all you need is some yellow rice or wild rice and you have a meal for a king

3. kip

kip Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    Perhaps the quails lay their eggs because you've handled them, it could be a kind of natural instinct to drop the egg to be quicker.
    My 4 hens always lay their eggs around the same time and my ringneck hens will do the same.
    My North Dutch blue chickens will lay in approximately an hour after the first contact with a human.

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    It really is amazing to process that first few hens. The reproductive system is incredible!

5. kip

kip Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2011
    I guess you raise your quail for meat. I'm going to raise like 100 quails next year and i'll try to sell the hens and only process the roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by