intergraded the flock - how do I get them to roost together?

top of the hill

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Connecticut
Hi there BYC!

I have (I think successfully) intergraded my 16 week old BR's with my big girls. For the past two days I have left the doors open and the babies have had plenty of room to run and jump up on branches and rocks. I know one or two of the RIR's have chased them a bit, but nothing severe.

My question is:
The babies headed back to their old roost instead of jumping up to the big girl roost. They are jumping around on it durring the day so I was actually kind of surprised to find them in the small cage. Should I take them off and place them on the bigger roost or just leave them to figure it out on their own?

Thanks

Leave them to figure it out on their own (and they will). They have to be assimilated into the pecking order. I have various ages of babies out with my big girls, too, and sometimes they will sleep in the coop and more often than not the chicks will prefer to go back to their "home" where they were raised and feel secure.

Thanks Mom2Five, I went home after work to lock up the coop and the babies were on the roost with the others (opposite side) but on the big girl roost none-the-less! I was so proud that they had figured it out on their own :)

Back
Top Bottom