1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

intergrading chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dorklingmomma, Jan 25, 2013.

1. dorklingmomma

dorklingmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2013
    citrus county
    I have two silver dorklings which are my babies and my 5 year old son just picked out a coo coo Moran who is about 5 months my dorklings are about a year old. I tried the Moran in a kennel for 48 hours inside the coop and slowly putting them together for 5 minutes at a time. but they are keeping her on lockdown I have made sure she is eating and drinking I do not know how to get them to interact nicely. any suggestions

2. dorklingmomma

Jan 23, 2013
    citrus county
    [​IMG]

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!! Glad you joined.

5. dorklingmomma

Jan 23, 2013
    citrus county
    Thank you This has been such a helpful site

6. Hello,

I just went through a similar situation. My two original hens (silver laced and colombian wyandottes) were about 20weeks and my new hen that I was trying to integrate was about 14 weeks. The first time they met, the two original hens wanted to attack the FBCM (French Black Copper Marans) ferociously. I had to segregate the new hen inside the run within her own cage. I would let the two older hens free range most of the day and keep the FBCM free to explore the run/coop. I did this for about a week. At the end of the week I started placing the new hen into the coop while the other two were sleeping. They tend not to attack in the dark. In the morning I would segregate them again with the free ranging/coop tactic. Although I made sure to get up early so that they did not start attacking her when the sun came up, I found that although there seemed to be stress in the enclosed coop, the hens were not physically fighting. This went on for a few days at which point I stopped segregating them as the older hens no longer seemed that interested in the new hen. They would still assert their dominance/pecking order, but it was no longer as harsh. Fast forward a couple more weeks and now they roam around the yard together but the younger one is still a bit cautious around the older two. It takes time, and you have to understand there will be some abuse by the dominant hens, but it will wane over time.

Good luck to you.
    Tony

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  7. dorklingmomma

Jan 23, 2013
    citrus county
    Ok i will definitely try the night trick to that sounds very logical

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Dorklingmomma, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Best of luck integrating the newbies.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. If you try the 'night trick' provide escape places in the coop. In the morning they will still treat her like a stranger. As others have stated chicken society can be cruel and it will take them a while to work out the pecking order. Make sure that your new hen has access to food and water.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :Sometimes it helps to take the bullys out and place them in a temp. pen for awhile and let the new comer have the pen and get use to it. So when you put the others back in, they are now the newcomers and the pecking might not be as bad. Good luck. thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by