intergrating 2 flocks, help

Im so excited tonight all my chickens took themselves to bed in the new coop, it's the first night I havent had to catch the babies and put them to bed, woop woop

Oooh, I REALLY wouldn't recommend putting them together for a few hours, then separating, then reintroducing....EVERY time they are put back together, the "pecking order" fights will start all over. Even just an hour or two of separation can result in bullying upon reintroduction. Making them go through that over and over is MUCH harder on them than getting it over with all at once. It will last several days, but if uninterrupted, they will order themselves and calm down. LOTS of hiding and escape areas, branches, etc. will help, and make sure there are multiple feeders and waterers. Having them separated by nothing except wire in the pen for a week or two should help some, as they will at least not be total strangers. The youngest will, on average, suffer the most. Give the YOUNGEST or meekest the home advantage of knowing all the food, water, and hiding spots, and keep the more dominant birds "in the dark" about the pen layout until introduction, to give the younger/meeker ones a better chance to avoid mayhem while everybody settles down. I'd give the young birds as MUCH growth time as possible before introducing the flocks; it's a long summer and fall; as long as they are calm before increased winter confinement, why hurry and risk injury or death.

my youngsters love there roosting bars woop woop

Back
Top Bottom