Intergrating a late hatched baby

Caralemasters

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2020
I have a new mother hen less then a year old. Three of her babies hatched, she abandoned the other eggs. We moved them and hatched one so far in a incubator(homemade). I am trying to get her to except this new baby she is 4 days younger but it isn't going well. Any advice? If she doesn't take her right away does that mean I should give up?

I have a new mother hen less then a year old. Three of her babies hatched, she abandoned the other eggs. We moved them and hatched one so far in a incubator(homemade). I am trying to get her to except this new baby she is 4 days younger but it isn't going well. Any advice? If she doesn't take her right away does that mean I should give up?
I would give it to her at night when she is sleeping on the babies, just pop it under there. See if that works. There are a few threads on the subject that will bring more details.

You may need to brood this chick yourself, so best to have your brooder set up in case the hen won't take it. Hopefully a couple more eggs will hatch so she doesn't grow up along.

Thank you both. I dnt think the hen will take her I am hoping the last two eggs will hatch. If they dnt would it be bad to take one of the babies from the hen for company for this lone baby? I can not find chicks for sale around here I tried.

You can raise 1 chick yourself, I did with my newest hatch.

I was hoping to have both hatch but ended up with 1 chick. So I brooded the chick for 4 days in my living room. Then took the chick out to my outdoor brooder that has 6, 4 week olds and 1, 3 month old living in there.

I have him in a small clear tote with cloth wire for the top, there's water, food, and heat. So the chick is getting integrated with that group. At 2 1/2 to 3 weeks, he won't have his tote anymore. Maybe you can do the same if the hen won't take your chick.

If they dnt would it be bad to take one of the babies from the hen for company for this lone baby? I can not find chicks for sale around here I tried.
I suppose that's a possibility, or brood the solo baby on the side (with a mirror or a stuffed animal for company) and when the hen starts to wean her chicks, you might be able to move the baby out and let it finish growing up with the other chicks.

Hope if someone has tried that, they can pipe in with how well it worked.

You can raise 1 chick yourself, I did with my newest hatch.

I was hoping to have both hatch but ended up with 1 chick. So I brooded the chick for 4 days in my living room. Then took the chick out to my outdoor brooder that has 6, 4 week olds and 1, 3 month old living in there.

I have him in a small clear tote with cloth wire for the top, there's water, food, and heat. So the chick is getting integrated with that group. At 2 1/2 to 3 weeks, he won't have his tote anymore. Maybe you can do the same if the hen won't take your chick.
I want to thank everyone for the post and information. I love this group has always been a huge help. Puppy is her name, she was adopted by my mother laws dog while I was gone on a business trip. I brought back 3 babies now she has new friends and a adopted mom.

Attachments

• 20210823_133241.jpg
    20210823_133241.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210823_132734.jpg
    20210823_132734.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom