intergrating a new hen!!!

RIVERA69R

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
VENICE FL
I got a new hen to replace my hen that turned into a rooster lol! I have 3 other hens so she is number 4 anyway I made a pen inside their run so they can see and hang out with the new girl while im at work and after work i let the new one out with my other three in the run until they get to mean then I let the girls out to free range their half of the back yard they have and let the new girl hang out in the coop/run area by herself to get use to it without stress from the others after a little while I will let her out into the free range half of the backyard and they chase her on occasion this goes on for awhile when she starts to look stressed a put her back in the run and the other girls stay out until bed time then I put the new one back in her little pen for the night and lock the coop eith the others does this sound like a good method or do you just throw her in with the dogs so to speak so they can get the order done and over with

I think your method is great. I'm not a fan of just throwing them all in together and letting them scrap it out. I think a little time, care and consideration goes a long way to having a happy flock. Especially with a small flock.

I too think you are doing a great job! It might take a couple weeks. Good luck!
smile.png

Thanks I couldnt just throw her in either she is very cool though she is a sex link I got her sunday and when they chase her she comes running right for me and shell sit on my arm and tuck her head in my chest its so cute she will be a nice friendly addition. My other three are very friendly also and love human company

Well last night after work I did my usually routine with the girls and some progress, they didnt peck at her near as much they would run at her and stop as she ran like crazy to get away but not to much pecking and last night she was looking in the coop trap door when they went to bed but she slept in her little cage hopefully by this weekend I can have them all getting along so I dont have to do my routine after work. I may try to put her in the coop tonight beings I dont work tomarrow i have my old baby monitor out to put in there if anything occurs I can hear it my wife thinks im crazy LOL

Back
Top Bottom