Intergrating ducklings

RobzNCaps

Hatching
Apr 1, 2017
A week ago me and my girlfriend decided to adopt ourselves a Black Swedish duckling from a farm. He had just hatched right before we got there so he imprinted on the two of us very quickly. We named him Happie and this past week he has lived up to his namesake. We always planned on adopting another duckling so that Happie won't get lonely when we're not able to be around. So today we adopted a Blue Swedish duckling and decided to name him Tempest. We got Tempest from a pet store and he was with a batch of ducklings who we were told are 3-4 days old and were apparently not given as much water as they should while they were in transit to the pet store. We did our research and found that it should be fine to put them two together right away since Happie is barely a week old. The first problem is is that ever since we've introduced Happie to Tempest Happie has been pretty standoffish around him. It's sad because we think that since Tempest has been around other ducklings he is expecting Happie to watch over him because he follows Happie EVERYWHERE, but Happie is giving him the cold wing (ha!). The second problem is that Tempest isn't eating half as much as Happie was at his age, could that be because he is scared of Happie? Would it also be possible that Happie is afraid of Tempest since he is the first duck he has been around. Should we speperate then until a tempest gets a little bigger? Here is some pictures of the both of them and their size difference.

They are very cute! I would just give them time to get used to each other. I expect they will soon be best friends but it takes time. Tempest might not be eating as much because everything is new or your food is slightly different from that fed at the pet store. Try not to worry!

PS Why is Tempest's head pink?

Yes i would keep them together for sure. They will get used to each other.
Try letting them swim together with treats. Chopped lettuce, grass, peas or mealworms. Something to do and distract them. I think they will be friends in no time:)

Also maybe its just not in the photo ... but you will want to be sure they have a deeper waterer so they can dunk their head and clean out their noses. Thats very necessary for ducklings:)

So they've gotten kind of used to each other since this morning. Happie is still being a little stubborn and pecking at Tempest when he tries to eat and what not. But Tempests plan seems to be to ignore it and kill him with kindness until he accepts him. And Tempests head is pink because we went to the pet store to buy him they weren't letting them be sold yet because of the fact they were malnourished so we paid for him two days ago and they marked him so we would know which one was when we picked him up today.

Good, I am glad they are getting better. It takes time to develop friendships! And thank you for explaining the pink -it did seem a little strange. I hope things continue to improve.

Back
Top Bottom