Intergration

Cluckingtime

Songster
May 23, 2022
Central Maine
So I integrated my younger chick's with the older flock. Didn't go as I expected. They appear to be in two flocks instead of one? Very odd. I had them in a wire dog crate for separation in the run during the day and a dif separate cage inside at night. I heard it is kind of normal for two flocks but I really didn't expect it as my run and inside caging area aren't huge but fine for the size flock I have. Anyone else experience this?

So I integrated my younger chick's with the older flock. Didn't go as I expected. They appear to be in two flocks instead of one? Very odd. I had them in a wire dog crate for separation in the run during the day and a dif separate cage inside at night. I heard it is kind of normal for two flocks but I really didn't expect it as my run and inside caging area aren't huge but fine for the size flock I have. Anyone else experience this?
Currently going through this, i have 8 8wk olds that im trying to intergrate with my 5 older hens, we built a brooding coop so to speak and have it in the run, my run is massive, I divided the run with bird netting so they could see each other and get close but not have physical contact, they have been separated like this for 3 weeks with some supervised together time a few times a week, yesterday I decided it was time to take down the netting and they act as 2 separate flocks and they older ladies do not like the younger ones roosting in their coop, I'm hoping they will all eventually share the big coop but the older hens got really mean with the littles while in the coop, in the run they do fine together, it's weird

they act as 2 separate flocks and they older ladies do not like the younger ones roosting in their coop, I'm hoping they will all eventually share the big coop but the older hens got really mean with the littles while in the coop, in the run they do fine together, it's weird
Sounds normal. Roosting time often brings out the worst in pecking order issues, but as long as the young ones can stay in the coop (even if it means on the floor) without getting injured I'd let them sort it out themselves. They won't behave as a cohesive flock until the younger ones start laying.

I started with 4 littles. Then my impatient husband who asked everyday if we were getting eggs tomorrow finally got on board with the idea to just geting a few that were laying already. Wound up with 4 layers, one my most proficient layer barred rock at 8 months, an Orpington that started a molt as soon as I got her, an easter egger that just finished her molt, and a 5 month olive egger that wasn't quite laying just yet.. about a month and a half later she finally laid her first egg, and has been laying for a month now. Well, she laid for 2 weeks, then took 2 weeks off and is now back at it!. But, I still see her hanging with the littles crowd! All the time! Even tho she laying now! I think it's because she's at the bottom of the pecking order, but is higher up than they are? Idk but it cracks me up how they also seem to stay pretty segregated.

Back
Top Bottom