Interior Design aka ideal nesting box location

Zoester

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 28, 2015
In many of the photos, I see nesting boxes located on the floor of a coop. For the last 6 years mine have been at shoulder level with a ladder. I have a new flock juset maturing this year and wondered about changing the location. They insist on roosting in the nesting boxes as did my last flock. I just closed it with a flap this morning to discourage that but now wonder about relocating the boxes to the ground level. Thx for your input.

They don't need to be at ground level, they just need to be lower than the roosts.
Birds want to roost as high as possible.
If you have enough roost length for the number of birds you have that are higher than the nests it's likely, tho not guaranteed, that they won't sleep in nests.

They don't need to be at ground level, they just need to be lower than the roosts.
Birds want to roost as high as possible.
If you have enough roost length for the number of birds you have that are higher than the nests it's likely, tho not guaranteed, that they won't sleep in nests.
Thanks, I raised the roosting poles and that seems to keep them out of the nesting boxes.

Back
Top Bottom