Intermittent Ducking panting help

Kangasox

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2015
I'm beginning to think adding 10 more beings for me to worry about was a bad idea. We have 10 ducklings between 2.5-3 weeks. They are inside in a brooder. One of the 2.5 Weekers has been panting off and on today. He also seems like he'd rather lay down than walk around, to some degree, though outside and in the tub he was fine. Eating, drinking ok. I added some sav-a-chick and probiotic to their water today, they get brewer's or nutritional yeast in their food. they were in the tub twice today. I even turned off the Brooder lamp for a bit. It is quite warm in that room, and in the 80s outside. One of the 3 weekers was also panting at one point. I don't want to ignore a problem, what else could it be? Thanks for any ideas!

Last edited:
Do they still pant when they're in the water? Is it cool/room temperature water? It sounds like they just might be hot, especially if the room is warm and you have the light on, too.

No, no panting in the tub. I make the water tepid at the start, but cool by the time they get out. It's only one of the Anconas I've seen multiple times, another one did it earlier. he's just my favorite , so I'm extra worried :) One Cayuga did it, but once I got him out from under the light he was fine, and he's got a lot of feathers coming in. They actually all do, the Anconas are really downy and fluffy all of a sudden. I keep trying to follow the "rules" with the lamp, wonder if I should leave it off? How will I know?

Last edited:
No, no panting in the tub. I make the water tepid at the start, but cool by the time they get out. It's only one of the Anconas I've seen multiple times, another one did it earlier. he's just my favorite , so I'm extra worried
smile.png
One Cayuga did it, but once I got him out from under the light he was fine, and he's got a lot of feathers coming in. They actually all do, the Anconas are really downy and fluffy all of a sudden. I keep trying to follow the "rules" with the lamp, wonder if I should leave it off? How will I know?

If they're panting and trying to get away from the light, it's too warm. Try moving it up higher and see what happens. Keep an eye on them, and if they start yelling and huddling together under the light, they're too cold. They don't always follow an exact schedule. I know a lot of people whose ducks were done with the light by 3 weeks. Mine used it until 5 weeks, then they moved outside without one and were fine.

Thanks @Kaessa. I tried to follow the book with my first kid, too. Worked much better when I relaxed. I'll just keep an eye on it.

Thanks @Kaessa . I tried to follow the book with my first kid, too. Worked much better when I relaxed. I'll just keep an eye on it.

I can completely relate to that.
big_smile.png

This is my first batch of ducklings, too. They're 7 weeks old now, so I'm not much further along the learning curve than you are. You're doing all the right things!

Back
Top Bottom