1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Internal coop ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by reksat, Apr 23, 2011.

1. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    I'm building our coop and our land layout is in a windy/open sunny spot. My question is : Where in side of the coop would be the best locations for the nest boxes, roosts, waterer,feeder ? North,South,East,West sides? This is all new to me so any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks. Also the winters get pretty bad here in Western Maryland.

2. sixshooter60

sixshooter60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Stuart Oklahoma
    It all depends on how the coop is layed out.. it all needs to be located so its easy for you to get around inside to feed and water and gather eggs and clean..it doesnt really matter as long as its good for you and the birds..

3. Corban

Corban Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Colorado
    I believe as long as you do not have drafts you should be good with pretty much however you lay it out. I did consider this myself and am placing my nest boxes on the opposite side of where the wind primarily blows, same with the roosts. The nest boxes will be where there is the least amount of light and my roosts will be by the window and pop door so they can look outside. Hope that helps. [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Yeap, it doesn't really matter much overall. It is best to have the popdoor on the side that will be usually-downwind in wintertime. If you live in a cold winter area, it is best to have the roosts as far away as possible from the vents you'll be using in wintertime, which will be on the usually-downwind wall so therefore a lot of people would site the roosts near the upwind-in-winter wall (unless you're in a warm-winter climate). Although, in a big enough coop you can get away with almost anything [​IMG]

Feeder/waterer and nestboxes don't usually depend much on compass directions, it's just whatever makes sense given the rest of the coop layout.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Thanks everyone for the replies .Greatly appreciated. As soon,or if it ever quits raining here in the east I might get a chance to finish the coop.All that is done is the holes dug and the floor joists completed.Chicks are almost 3 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by