Internal/false Laying = inevitable death???

We have not tried it as of yet. We have been moving, and the room that we would use is filled with unpacked boxes.

* You would think they could use ultrasound or something and then "vac" the yolks out --- at least temporarily. . .
hmm.png

d.k :

* You would think they could use ultrasound or something and then "vac" the yolks out --- at least temporarily. . .
hmm.png

I expect the reason it isn't generally done is that birds don't do all that reliably well under anesthesia, plus abdominal surgery carries risk of infection, plus there is no reason to believe it would be anything more than the most temporary of fixes anyhow.

From everything I've read, it seems that once eggs/yolks start going astray into the abdominal cavity instead of into the oviduct, or once those hard rubbery yolky blobs start appearing, it is pretty clearly in the chicken's best interest to be discouraged from laying any more eggs at all. There are some anecdotal suggestions that if the bird molts with the accompanying changes to the reproductive tract it *might* encourage normal egg production again but I have not seen any actual *proof* of this anywhere, it's just something that people sometimes theorize about.

Pat, having lost a chicken this way last fall​

Back
Top Bottom