Internal layer even without having laid an egg yet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by notsooldmcdonald, Nov 30, 2008.

1. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    Hi-

I posted last Sunday about a hen who had removed herself from the flock, was uninterested in treats, and stayed on the roost with her head under her wing. She seemed dis-interested in the other chickens, and seemed to wander a bit aimlessly (when not on the roost).

I brought her inside, and gave her only water with ACV for about 24 hours. Her poop was cream-colored and completely liquid. After 24 hrs, I gave her straight olive oil (dripped onto her beak) as she would not touch the olive oil soaked bread. I massaged her crop, which was very hard. By Tuesday, she was passing more solid material, only it was a very dark brown, small, and really smelly. I was very concerned that she would have to be put down. She wasn't eating much, and the stool concerned me. On Wed, she passed very normal looking stool-twice (YAY). Thursday, I offered her yogurt and made a mash of layer crumbles, warm water, and olive oil. I ordered wormer (Ivomec Eprinex), and wormed her on Saturday (within minutes of its delivery).

I offered her some grit and mash on Saturday. She was _very_ interested in the grit. Today, I made her a scrambled egg, and she ate enthusiastically, but did not eat very much.

Her comb is BRIGHT red, and I do not believe that she has yet layed an egg (ever...I know this because I have never had more than 20 eggs, and I got that after she was removed from the flock which, without her, is 20) she is a 20 week old Red Star

All the while, I have massaged her crop, which remains small and hard.

Wormed---check
    isolated--check
    warm--check
    soft foods--check
    yogurt--check
    ACV in water--check
    olive oil--check
    fresh "bedding towel" every other day--check

Could she be laying internally, even though she's never laid an egg?

Her vent is very pale...does that matter?

She is perky, bright-eyed, has a beautiful red comb...

Why won't she eat very much?

Thanks!
    -Christian

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm not sure what it is. Is her belly soft or hard? Hopefully some one can help you so bump.

3. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    Quote:Thanks!

Her belly feels soft, and I couldn't feel any possible egg bumps [​IMG]

I just don't want to put her back with the others until she shows me she will eat. Her poop is pretty normal now...there just isn't much of it.

-Christian

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by