Internal layer? Hen with fluid in abdominal cavity

juliechick

Transplanted Hillbilly
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Southeast AR
The hen was a 3 year old Buff Orpington. She molted this Fall and did not start to lay again. Her comb began turning a little blue on the tips about a month ago. She would seem sick, then the comb would brighter and she would act better for awhile, then get sick again. I checked her for a bound egg, but couldn't feel anything. Well, this week she got much worse and stopped eating. I found that her abdomen was very swollen. After she passed, I cut open the abdomen and a huge amount of yellowish liquid poured out. It didn't really stink, just smelled a bit like egg. So, I think she has had this fluid building up for weeks. Is this an internal layer or some other problem? She has in the past been prone to lay shell-less eggs at times, but always went back to normal eggs after a couple soft ones.

I did an autopsy and did not find any worms. I did find some hard, yellow stuff in one of her "tubes". I wonder if this was egg that was blocking the passage?

She probably had egg peritionitis from yolk being deposited in her abdomen, poor thing. It's quite common at that age, unfortunately. The solid infection and egg material you found in her oviduct is classic. I've had six hens die from that myself. Yes, she would be considered an internal layer.

Thanks for the reply Poor old girl. She was a good hen.
If I ever see another with the same symptoms, is there something you can do to stop the condition if you catch it in time?

Back
Top Bottom