Internal Laying, Ascites and EYP - *Very* Graphic Necropsy Pictures

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by casportpony, Sep 3, 2013.

1. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Was looking for some pictures and found these. This is a hen that was walking like a penguin, breathing hard and she died while I was trying to drain the fluid.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

2 people like this.
  2. redstar14

redstar14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Kinda've disturbing

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Very good pictures. The third picture looks like a cystic right oviduct, the equivalant of a large fluid -filled ovarian cyst. Very informative, but sorry for your loss.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I found those while searching for some rooster hernia pictures. Those are really interesting, but I can't find them. [​IMG]

-Kathy

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    For those interested, it's possible to detect internal laying by doing a cloacal exam. If she hadn't had so much fluid, an exam might have revealed the parts in picture #5. I know, 'cause I've had a few that I could feel before they died.

-Kathy

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    WOW !!!!!!!!!! Kathy, sorry about your poor hen. Looks like she was in a lot of pain.

Excellent job on the necropsy. I have never seen that before. A great tutorial. Thanks for posting.

7. flyballgirl

flyballgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    What is the tomato looking thing? Our Polish has been having what looks like a red bubble come out of her bum when she poops and I don't know what it is. When she is done it goes back in. Any comments?? Thanks.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The red thing you're seeing is probably a minor prolapse, the thing in the picture is an egg yolk. Keep an eye on it as they can get worse.

-Kathy

9. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Subscribing

10. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Great Pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by