Internal Laying?

ctyfrmr

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
I found one of my hens dead on the floor this morning. They all seemed fine yesterday. I opened her up and found 5 egg yolks about 3/4" in dia in by her liver and gizzard. Is this normal or is this what is called internal laying?

Quote:
Gosh, that's terrible. So sorry to hear it. I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm hoping someone on here will.

So sorry to hear that!
sad.png

How great that you were able to cut her open to see what was going on though. Not easy I'm sure, but necessary.

Yes, that sounds like internal laying. From my understanding, it can happen occasionally and the hen's body will absorb the egg. If the problem persists in the hen then they can die as yours did. I will try to find the article tonite or tomorrow. It was either in Backyard Poultry or Hobby Farms.

I won't say anything else about it until I look it up!!
smile.png

If you do a BYC search here for "ISA Brown" you'll find a lengthy post with pictures from someone with 3 chickens who died of internal laying. Apparently it's not uncommon with production breed hens
sad.png
It was a sad story. Not much you can do to prevent it or keep the condition from continuing once you figure out that's what going on, either.

Hi actually there IS something you can do! Get a desorelin hormone implant put in your hen,very simple procedure,vet will put it under the skin like a microchip for a dog,total cost is 170 dollars and it should last 6 months ,but get my hen done sooner at 5 months just to be safe. This implant will stop the hen from ovulating and producing anymore eggs,thus saving her life and giving her a second chance!,also she dosent have to go through the pain and misery that is a result of internal laying as many people try to help there hen at home buy draining there abdomens and giving antibiotics,which is very painfull to the hens and honestly a cruel thing to do. It much better to get the proper procedure done as this is the only way to keep a hen alive after finding out she has become an internal layer. My girl was diagnosed 2 years ago and is living a excellent happy life as a result of the implant,ask your vet

Back
Top Bottom