Internal Pip... Help!!!!!!

KarrieAnne0514

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2020
Okay guys so yesterday was day 18 and I was going into lockdown so I candled the eggs to get the bad eggs out. And one already internally pipped. Well after research I learned silkies are considered a bantam and sometimes hatch early?
So I figured it would at least externally pipped since that was 18 hours ago?!?
But still no external pip now I'm worried.

My last batch of eggs I hatched, I had one internally pip. I could hear it chipping through the incubator and rocking but it never externally pipped. And I left it alone for 24 hours only for it to die. 😩 I feel like I could have saved it if I would've just helped. But I don't want to kill it trying to help.

Everyone I know who hatches silkies say they hatch on day 21 and they've never had any hatch early. Do you have a calibrated thermometer in your incubator? Just leave this eg alone until tomorrow. If you do anything too soon you might kill it, and if you open the incubator you could compromise the rest of the eggs. The one you lost last time probably wasn't your fault. I have those too sometimes and even though it's sad, they usually just aren't meant to be. I assist if I have to since they are being artificially incubated and it's not natural, but sometimes there are some babies who just don't have the strength to do it. Yours could have been malpositioned or had a deformity or something, which would have made it hard to live. Don't beat yourself up about it, it happens to everyone.

Everyone I know who hatches silkies say they hatch on day 21 and they've never had any hatch early. Do you have a calibrated thermometer in your incubator? Just leave this eg alone until tomorrow. If you do anything too soon you might kill it, and if you open the incubator you could compromise the rest of the eggs. The one you lost last time probably wasn't your fault. I have those too sometimes and even though it's sad, they usually just aren't meant to be. I assist if I have to since they are being artificially incubated and it's not natural, but sometimes there are some babies who just don't have the strength to do it. Yours could have been malpositioned or had a deformity or something, which would have made it hard to live. Don't beat yourself up about it, it happens to everyone.
I have 2 hydrometers and thermometers in the incubator and they both are reading 65 in humidity and 99-100 in temp. I don't know what I have done wrong 😣 I keep my humidity on 45-55 and then I recently bumped it up to 65 for lock down. Is it normal for them to internally pip this early?Or is this chick not going to make it? 😩

I have 2 hydrometers and thermometers in the incubator and they both are reading 65 in humidity and 99-100 in temp. I don't know what I have done wrong 😣 I keep my humidity on 45-55 and then I recently bumped it up to 65 for lock down. Is it normal for them to internally pip this early?Or is this chick not going to make it? 😩
I bet your temp was on the high side and it just developed a bit faster. We'll just watch and wait. I think it will be fine. Fingers crossed!

I think they'll be ok, c'mon little babies! Let me know what happens!
I will I just went and looked again and it looks like another egg has externally pipped but it is kinda on the side/bottom of the egg. The one that was internally pipped still hasn't externally pipped. Has anyone ever incubated silkies and hatch them hatch early and be healthy. This is day 19/20.

I will I just went and looked again and it looks like another egg has externally pipped but it is kinda on the side/bottom of the egg. The one that was internally pipped still hasn't externally pipped. Has anyone ever incubated silkies and hatch them hatch early and be healthy. This is day 19/20.
I'm sure they'll be just fine. This is a long story, and it's totally true. I'll cut to the main part : I once had about 20 mallard eggs in my incubator, one group day 27 (they were hatching) and one group about day 11. They all synchronized and the super young embryos sped up development somehow and my incubator was empty on day 30 for the older embryos, all of them hatched even the younger ones. Those babies are all healthy and still doing awesome a year later. Baffled me

Actually, in my avatar is one of the young babies that sped way up. Something incredible to think about, when that pic was taken if the baby was still in the egg like normal it would be on day 14, but instead it's already out in the world.

I had one hatch one morning, the next day like 5 hatched all throughout the day & then like 2 more the next day so within 3 days. It was crazy lol. My first one that hatched is the biggest & strongest out of the whole bunch. I suspect rooster 😂🙃

Back
Top Bottom