Apartmentduck

In the Brooder
May 28, 2021
So my duck eggs are beginning to hatch early. Day 24, For the past couple okays it looks like some where internally pipping, but I wasn’t able to hear any chirping. This morning in one egg I heard chirping and there’s a big dark spot where it’s trying to externally pip. What I’m asking is a internal pip confirmed when you can hear the baby chirping inside the egg? I need to know so I know when to make safety holes.

So my duck eggs are beginning to hatch early. Day 24, For the past couple okays it looks like some where internally pipping, but I wasn’t able to hear any chirping. This morning in one egg I heard chirping and there’s a big dark spot where it’s trying to externally pip. What I’m asking is a internal pip confirmed when you can hear the baby chirping inside the egg? I need to know so I know when to make safety holes.
yes if your egg is chirping they're pipped internally. :D

Jumping in to ask about a possible internal pip. Yesterday I noticed this spot (above the heart) on my second duck egg which hasn’t pipped yet (first one pipped yesterday evening so expecting hatch today - fingers crossed!). This pic is from this morning. It’s about double size it was but it appears to be a small bit away from the air sac. Air sac is on the right end of the pic. Is this likely an internal pip? Will I need to make an assistance hole? I just noticed the left end of the egg looks dark but that could be shadow.

Attachments

• 67079DC9-2AC9-4443-90F5-4E75B9A3751B.jpeg
    67079DC9-2AC9-4443-90F5-4E75B9A3751B.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 24
Jumping in to ask about a possible internal pip. Yesterday I noticed this spot (above the heart) on my second duck egg which hasn’t pipped yet (first one pipped yesterday evening so expecting hatch today - fingers crossed!). This pic is from this morning. It’s about double size it was but it appears to be a small bit away from the air sac. Air sac is on the right end of the pic. Is this likely an internal pip? Will I need to make an assistance hole? I just noticed the left end of the egg looks dark but that could be shadow.
It could be that the duckling is facing the wrong direction, tried to pip on the left side, and hit a blood vessel (thus causing the dark bruising you're seeing). Are you seeing any movement or hearing anything?

It could be that the duckling is facing the wrong direction, tried to pip on the left side, and hit a blood vessel (thus causing the dark bruising you're seeing). Are you seeing any movement or hearing anything?
That was my concern that it’s facing the wrong way. I haven’t noticed movement or heard anything but I had difficulty candling that egg too. I’m beginning to think I should give it a hole to assist.

I don't know if a safety hole is a good idea. If you know it has internally pipped into the air cell, then making a safety hole over the air cell can ensure that the duckling can breath in the interim between internal and external pipping. But if the duckling is on the wrong side, if you try to make a safety hole near it, you'll probably hit a blood vessel.

Besides, since there's no air cell, you'd have to make the hole directly over the duckling's bill, and you probably won't be able to find where it is.

I don't know if a safety hole is a good idea. If you know it has internally pipped into the air cell, then making a safety hole over the air cell can ensure that the duckling can breath in the interim between internal and external pipping. But if the duckling is on the wrong side, if you try to make a safety hole near it, you'll probably hit a blood vessel.

Besides, since there's no air cell, you'd have to make the hole directly over the duckling's bill, and you probably won't be able to find where it is.
Just got home and checked the inside left where I thought it was dark. It was just shadow. The dark spot above the heart is no bigger though.

Back
Top Bottom