internally dyed yolks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maizey, Feb 1, 2011.

1. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

My 13 yo son loves trivia games and downloaded a trivia app for his ipod. It has about ten thousand useless facts. He showed me fact # 1032 (among many others [​IMG] ) and it stated that by "feeding certain dyes to chickens, you could color the yolks of their eggs. " I thought this sounded like total hogwash and said so...he wants me to ask the "chicken people". So, anybody think this is possible? I don't.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I don't know about feeding it, though I've heard of it before, however you can dye the yolks AND the chicks inside (after incubating of course) if you insert dye directly into the egg.

3. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

yes, i ve read about injecting the dye...sounds hedious...you cant improve on Gods handywork.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, to some extent, various pigmentation precursors can be fed at high levels to change the color of the yolk. You'll not get a blue one, but you can surely get a bright orange and a nearly white yolk depending on their feed.

As for injecting color for colored chicks it is not in the yolk. That goes inside the chick and is taken up as nutrients. Colored chicks is via pigmentation added to the albumen.

5. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

To get orangey yolks you feed them lots a greens and protien. Also some breeds lay oranger yolks naturnaly. My leghorns lay yellow yolks no matter what I feed them. But no you can't internaly die just the yolks. At least I've never heard of it.

6. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    I've never heard of feeding chickens dye to dye the eggs before. That just sounds silly to me.

Personally, I'd have to see it to believe it. [​IMG]

So yeah, it's probably hogwash, as you say. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by