Internally pipped still in exactly the same position after 24 hours

Lduvet

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Hi everyone, I have a lavender orpington egg where the chick has internally pipped around 24 hours ago. The beak appears to be right at the bottom of the air cell (which is very large) but it is moving and it is cheeping loudly. However it hasnt moved from its current position since being monitored. When should I intervene? Thinking about making a safety hole soon but would rather leave it alone if i can. This chick is part of a shipped order which had a disastrous journey through the post so it is special, would hate to see it die after coming this far.

I would intervene. The chick peeping loudly tells me he/she is in distress.

Fill a small container with very warm water, and dip a paper towel or wash cloth in the warm water and wet the membrane as you peel the shell off. Be careful to keep the damp water away from the nostrils. Work the shell off around the head first. If you see blood, stop. That means the blood vessles are not fully absorbed.

If the chick stays in the shell too long, it will continue to grow and could end up with deformed legs.

ETA: See my post below!

Last edited:
Chirping a day or two before hatching is completely normal and be aware you can do more harm than good by opening the egg too soon.
Generally there is a problem once a chick has externally pipped and then not moved. I would not open the egg for another 24 hours myself.

A more important question is what day is it since the eggs were started?

If it is before day 21 and 12 hours the egg should not be touched imo.

Ah sorry, meant to say it is day 21 (not counting the day the eggs were set). I made a safety hooe, still chirping but a bit quieter.

Back
Top Bottom