International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I ended up with a surprise black copper chick I was assuming would hatch an OE. Its a definite black copper, no question and has to be from the last BCM pullet I penned up with the bad comb. The black copper roosters she was exposed to during that time was Apollo for a few days before I put her in with the Legbars, and before that Griffin when she was free ranging. So she still had some residual sperm saved up from one of them. The pullet is from Line A and so is both Apollo and Griffin so I am going to band the chick and record the two possible sires. The chick was a pleasant surprise. :)

View attachment 1214489 View attachment 1214490 View attachment 1214491
All the chicks are gorgeous!

So anyone have solid bbs marans? Can you use them in a bbs copper breeding program? Let's say you have a splash marans hen can you use a blue copper marans rooster over her and get blue copper and splash copper chicks?

So anyone have solid bbs marans? Can you use them in a bbs copper breeding program? Let's say you have a splash marans hen can you use a blue copper marans rooster over her and get blue copper and splash copper chicks?

Yes there are solid BBS Marans. The original breeder of my line A birds also breeds Black Marans (not BBS). They are different though from black coppers. Genetically speaking solid BBS are extended black or E and black coppers are brown red or ER. Two totally different color genes. I hope I am saying this accurately, Chooks man can correct me where I fall short. Anyway, the BBS gene simply dilutes the black to blue or splash. If you use a splash bird from a solid BBS (extended black) line to breed to black copper you will get overmelanized offspring with less copper, or even mahogany colored copper that is too dark. It is important to know specifically whether a splash comes from a solid BBS line or BBS copper line because the splash color is diluted so much that it hides the true colors underneath. You could work with a solid BBS splash bird but it would take a few generations of breeding back to BBS copper to overcome the extended black.

Yes there are solid BBS Marans. The original breeder of my line A birds also breeds Black Marans (not BBS). They are different though from black coppers. Genetically speaking solid BBS are extended black or E and black coppers are brown red or ER. Two totally different color genes. I hope I am saying this accurately, Chooks man can correct me where I fall short. Anyway, the BBS gene simply dilutes the black to blue or splash. If you use a splash bird from a solid BBS (extended black) line to breed to black copper you will get overmelanized offspring with less copper, or even mahogany colored copper that is too dark. It is important to know specifically whether a splash comes from a solid BBS line or BBS copper line because the splash color is diluted so much that it hides the true colors underneath. You could work with a solid BBS splash bird but it would take a few generations of breeding back to BBS copper to overcome the extended black.
Thank you, I am just trying to figure out what I want to do. The gal that I am getting chicks from doesn't have any splash copper but she does have add splash. Not sure I want to do another pen for the bbs.

All the chicks are gorgeous!

Thank you! I only ended up with the 2 Marans chicks with this hatch but I have more in the incubator. I hatched 3 legbar chicks (2 cockerels and a pullet), and one F1 barred olive egger which is probably a cockerel. He has big cockerel looking feet. And he has very impressive leg feathering just like a Marans. :)

Back
Top Bottom