International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

wow ,big type ,good comb , lot hackle marking correct egg shape and colour. the rest I did not hear it ,fault what fault ,Ah High tail ? .she proven a lot to me .

fingers cross ,her true sister will be better than her , Xina is your big hen ,you think is her mama ?

chooks man

Yes she looks a lot like Xena in mass, shape, etc. She's not going anywhere. I'm hoping one of her sisters with better tail angle has some of the same qualities as they mature. :)

View attachment 1970258 View attachment 1970259 View attachment 1970260 the surviving recessive white Cockerel: one was caught by predators, the second developed a heart issue. The recessive white pullets don't seem to have problems.
View attachment 1970261 View attachment 1970262 the blue silver I kept: even though his saddle is a bit lacking, I've had no other blues who displayed such divine silver, crisp and even throughout, and just the right color of blue. His good stuff, I feel, outweighs his bad!
View attachment 1970266 View attachment 1970267 View attachment 1970268 this wild dude is very bashful! He won best standard feather legged male chicken at the local 4h fair this year, so he's a keeper.View attachment 1970270 View attachment 1970271 View attachment 1970272 here's the second black silver Cockerel I kept.View attachment 1970273 View attachment 1970274 here is Big Jackson. He is now going to be 3 in the spring, but he is a hard fella to part with! After he finished his molt, he sure looked way better. He does have the white at the base of the tail in the underfluff, though. So those are the ones I kept after the big butchering was done.

The blue birchen is so dreamy! You've done great with them. Congrats!

Yes she looks a lot like Xena in mass, shape, etc. She's not going anywhere. I'm hoping one of her sisters with better tail angle has some of the same qualities as they mature. :)

do you have her sister with a better tail angle ?
she is Duke daughter ,so she has 50% of good tail genes ,high tail come from her mama . so she is a split between the 2 traits .if mated to the correct tail cockerel ,most of her progeny will have good tail .

chooks man

do you have her sister with a better tail angle ?
she is Duke daughter ,so she has 50% of good tail genes ,high tail come from her mama . so she is a split between the 2 traits .if mated to the correct tail cockerel ,most of her progeny will have good tail .

chooks man

Yes I have several prospective female breeders for next year that have good tails, I'm hoping their egg color is good as well. I am just waiting on them to reach POL so we can figure out who will work out best as a breeder. I will take pictures when I can. If the big pullet seems a worthy candidate as a breeder, I may use her as well.

Yes I have several prospective female breeders for next year that have good tails, I'm hoping their egg color is good as well. I am just waiting on them to reach POL so we can figure out who will work out best as a breeder. I will take pictures when I can. If the big pullet seems a worthy candidate as a breeder, I may use her as well.

sound good .
keep your eyes on a big pullets .mass mostly is from the hen , so keep the genes in your flock . we need a big heavy marans .

chooks man

received email from Liza s telling me she is driving through the night to Victoria state . 10 hours drive one way to pick up 2 BC cockerels from the import line dark eggs layer . finger crossed they don t have many faults .
she thinks they will good for Autumn pairing to hatch some pullets .
some thing to look forward to .
one more line will be added to our breeding program ,great .one step more step forward .step by step to restore those marans chooks in OZ .

chooks man

here a BC cockerel 9 weeks old bred for body colour ,his mama is Baby blue over coloured hen , he has a lot copper on his chest at this stage but he will clear up as he grow .his chest will be over coloured but good for body colour breeding over a black hens . let see how he turn out ,love his hackle and shoulder marking ,very early type .great stuff .
P1110076.JPG

chooks man

received email from Liza s telling me she is driving through the night to Victoria state . 10 hours drive one way to pick up 2 BC cockerels from the import line dark eggs layer . finger crossed they don t have many faults .
she thinks they will good for Autumn pairing to hatch some pullets .
some thing to look forward to .
one more line will be added to our breeding program ,great .one step more step forward .step by step to restore those marans chooks in OZ .

chooks man

That's great! It's good you have someone to work with in your breeding program. I hope the cockerels work out well for you all. :D

here a BC cockerel 9 weeks old bred for body colour ,his mama is Baby blue over coloured hen , he has a lot copper on his chest at this stage but he will clear up as he grow .his chest will be over coloured but good for body colour breeding over a black hens . let see how he turn out ,love his hackle and shoulder marking ,very early type .great stuff .
View attachment 1970964
chooks man

He's going to be a big wide bird from the looks of it. Looks good!

100_3717.JPG
100_3718.JPG
100_3719.JPG
100_3720.JPG
Random pics of my 2019 PULLETS! It was a whopping 30 degrees today so I ran outside and got these before the snow. I LOVE MY CHICKENS TOM

Attachments

• 100_3721.JPG
    100_3721.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_3722.JPG
    100_3722.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_3723.JPG
    100_3723.JPG
    340.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3724.JPG
    100_3724.JPG