International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

broody hens view all look happy .
P1130849.JPG
P1130853.JPG
P1130884.JPG
P1130887.JPG

all good .
chooks man

I know many people try to stop a broody hen. I don’t understand why just give 3-4 eggs is all.
I should let those people borrow my old game hen for 3 months, actually do not think it would take that long. Her goal in life is to be raising chicks. She hangs on to them for about 4 months, and then when she starts back laying, you'll get about a week if that before she's hiding her eggs ready to start the process all over. If you find the eggs to break her, she finds a new hiding spot. I don't even try with her anymore, oh its snowing and you want to hatch chicks....here have some eggs. She's currently building her clutch as we speak, and the moment she starts setting swapping them out with Marans eggs.

that is determination . love to breed it true .
I m trying to find ways to hatch my future breeders with mama hens not incubator . hard to do when you want to hatch 100 and 100 but I think it is worth a try . healthy ,happy ,hardy and smart chicks .
let see how things goes .
chooks man

that's why I added pekins to my flock. silkies and maybe phoenixes are next. any idea if turkey hens might brood chicks without killing them with their heavy body?

penned a dark Blue silver/golden cuckoo Shamrock#3 to few hens to see his fertility and type of chicks he will throw .
gave him 2 black hens ,both big and dark eggs layer.
2 BLC both dark eggs layer .one hen is larger .
2 cuckoos one black the other blue .
all this hens are not related to him ,they are in they last leg of laying .soon they will stop .
P1130874.JPG
P1130876.JPG

let see what happen .
this rooster was the faster growing rooster I ever seen .big heavy dude .correct conformation .
chooks man

Back
Top Bottom