Intersnships

alexandherpets

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 7, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hey everyone! im going into college soon, and i think ive decided upon my major---Agriculture. I have been going crazy looking into internships that i think could benefit me with no such luck :( I want to make sure that before i go into the poultry business (even if its super small) i absolutely love it and can see myself doing it forever. I also want to grow veggies and have a few cows but that has nothing to do with this convo! So, does anyone know of any great, or well trusted places where they have internships? I absolutely love animals (especially chickens

))))) and i could really see myself being a chicken mom to many chickens. I am a vegetarian so id strictly use them for eggs and companionship! SO, like i asked before... know of any internships? Thanks a bunch everyone!! -Alexandra
D.gif

Check with your college choice(s), your state and county ag extension service to start with.

Another way is to look online at the companies you'd like to work for or with. Google the online profiles of the main people in positions you'd like. Look at their references. Google those references for more places to apply to. Look for start up programs such as About - National Young Farmers' Coalition

Best wishes

A great place for agricultural internships, especially of the plant variety is with a company called Seeds of Change. They have an awesome experimental farm that interns run. Basically, they come up with new varieties of seeds and they test the quality of the seeds they sell each year. They are an organic company that deals only with heirloom types. Awesome company to deal with and I almost applied to their internship.

Maybe see if hatcheries offer internships. Some of the larger ones might (A lot of companies will let you be an unpaid intern: Experience for you and free labor for them!) 4-H extensions may also be a good resource.

You are on the right track though. I highly recommend every college student participates in internships while in college. It will make finding a job sooo much easier later on.

Also, I had an agriculture professor once that had a farm in upstate New York and she paid student interns to take care of it for her during the summer. She was an organic operation and provided housing too. You can always ask around when you start college for something like that.

Back
Top Bottom