Intestines hanging out after fox attack

ebl081

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2020
We just had a fox pick up one of our hens and I was able to notice from the house. Our dog chased off the fox and he dropped the hen. She seemed totally fine at first except her bowel area was a bit large looking and she leaned forward when she walked. This happened yesterday. This morning I checked on her and about a fingers length of her intestine was hanging out of the cloaca. I have never seen this before and I washed it and gently pushed it back in. The area seems very inflamed and she is not moving much and still leaning forward.
Will this heal or should I put her down? I do not want her to suffer and a vet is not really an option. I can update with a picture later if needed but had to run go work.
She is a golden laced Wyandotte about 1 year old and had been a normal laying hen before this.

We just had a fox pick up one of our hens and I was able to notice from the house. Our dog chased off the fox and he dropped the hen. She seemed totally fine at first except her bowel area was a bit large looking and she leaned forward when she walked. This happened yesterday. This morning I checked on her and about a fingers length of her intestine was hanging out of the cloaca. I have never seen this before and I washed it and gently pushed it back in. The area seems very inflamed and she is not moving much and still leaning forward.
Will this heal or should I put her down? I do not want her to suffer and a vet is not really an option. I can update with a picture later if needed but had to run go work.
She is a golden laced Wyandotte about 1 year old and had been a normal laying hen before this.
Without pictures, I don't think anyone will be able to say for certain, but if her intestines are out, you may have to put her down. If they are cut in any way, they can slowly poison her.

I'm so sorry about your poor hen.
It is difficult without pictures.
You write the area seems very inflamed - the teeth of predators are covered with bacteria, so probably she needs antibiotics, but from your descriptions of her actual state it is difficult to estimate wether she even could have a chance. Or if it would be best to let her go as theoldchick wrote.

I'm so sorry 😔

Thank you for all your responses. They just popped out again and much worse than before. Here is a picture. I am going to euthanize her humanely unless someone gets back quick with a better solution

Attachments

• 6603428F-C7E3-449B-9175-B95F3AE22806.jpeg
    6603428F-C7E3-449B-9175-B95F3AE22806.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom