Intestines hanging out of vent, chicken dies

tossitall2015

Chirping
Aug 15, 2016
This is the second chicken in a month that I have lost to whatever this condition is. I have lost 2 from the heat, and am very upset with 2 left. The first time this happened, it was to a black chicken, so I couldn't see much, except for the maggots hanging out of her back end with all her feathers totally soaked in something. The second chicken was yesterday, I could actually see the piece of intestine hanging out, it looked like a long piece of intestine with black in it, and the maggots hanging directly out of her back end. The feathers underneath her back end and some of her underside were totally black.

This has happened/developed within a 1-2 day period.

HELP, can someone tell me what happened, what is this? The 2 chickens I have left are going to be going to somewhere that they can be the only 2 chickens.

Thanks everyone.

This is the second chicken in a month that I have lost to whatever this condition is. I have lost 2 from the heat, and am very upset with 2 left. The first time this happened, it was to a black chicken, so I couldn't see much, except for the maggots hanging out of her back end with all her feathers totally soaked in something. The second chicken was yesterday, I could actually see the piece of intestine hanging out, it looked like a long piece of intestine with black in it, and the maggots hanging directly out of her back end. The feathers underneath her back end and some of her underside were totally black.

This has happened/developed within a 1-2 day period.

HELP, can someone tell me what happened, what is this? The 2 chickens I have left are going to be going to somewhere that they can be the only 2 chickens.

Thanks everyone.

Welcome To BYC.

Any photos?

Just a guess here, it may have began with a prolapsed vent, then flies laid eggs turning it into Flystrike.

Any of the hens have really poopy bums?

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/07/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes.html

The chickens are Orpingtons, and they refuse to roost, so sometimes they have little clingers, but nothing alarming. Its almost like the maggots are coming from inside, if that's even possible. It's a day and then they die, I just don't know what this is.

Back
Top Bottom