Into the brooder - minimum time?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scoopy82, Jan 19, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Just wondering how soon you can move chicks from an incubator into a brooder? I had one hatch this morning and he was so full of life, dried really quickly and threw a complete tantrum when he discovered he was alone in the bator (i took the other 3 chicks out cos when he first hatched they kept annoying him and he carried on then too), so after 8 hours he was moved to the brooder where he is currently one happy little chick, hanging with the gang. Should i have left him in the bator longer? Is there a minimum time after the chick hatches that you should leave them in the bator before moving them?
    And I'm sure this one is a boy - the ammount of tantrum chucking he has already done - has to be a boy!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I don't think there's any set time. I think the main thing about leaving them in the bator is not to keep opening it while you still have eggs that are hatching!!

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

There are a couple of considerations: Don't open the incubator to remove a chick when other eggs have pipped or are zipping, because that will suck out the humidity and you might "shrink-wrap" the ones hatching. If your 'bator recovers temperature quickly, you can snatch DRY and active hatchlings out when there are still eggs which haven't pipped.

I like to wait 8 to 12 hours, to make sure the little hatchlings have rested from their ordeals and are totally dry and running around inside the incubator.

4. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Quote:This.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by