Into the coop

I've heard 3 weeks, leave them in the coop for another week so at week 4 they are good to be outside in the run. We're planning to put ours out tomorrow and they are 3 1/2 weeks with good feathering (4 PBR's & 2 RIR's). It's possible some breeds need longer in the brooder.

I normally put mine in at 6 weeks, but it really depends on the breed. My giants have been able to go as early as 4 weeks. When they are able to feed well and are active and feathered out well you can put them out there. Keep them away from your roos for a bit longer though, some can be aggressive toward the young.

I put mine out at about 8 weeks. It was also much cooler then... You should be ok around 3 or 4 weeks because pretty much everywhere it's above 70 degrees

Thanks,I have 6 RIR aand 3 Buff Orpingtons and are at 2weeks nowso wanting them out in the coop so i can get some more in the incubator ive really got the chicken bug now.

I'd say it's temperature driven. If you've walked the temp down to the outside temperature, you're fine. Mine still huddle together at night so not sure how much that matters for most areas, unless it drops below freezing at night or something. Good luck and enjoy!

I'm with the other guys, depends on temperature. If they don't need a heat lamp then they can be outside. It can help giving them a smaller area to roost in, like maybe modify a nest box for them with a little roost in there and a sheet of material across the front? I do that for my new chicks, the smaller the area they're in, the easier it will be for them to keep the area warm. They work out how to get into their 'bedroom' through the material 'door' fine, and have no problems adjusting to the big roosts when they're older.

It also helps keep them out of sight so they don't get pecked first thing in the morning by the older girls in there

if you have a heat lamp in your coop you can put them out any time... ours went out at 3-4 days old... I didn't want all the dust and dirt in the house. Their whole coop became the "incubator". As long as you're able to keep the temp right, you're good to go. Ours have done very well.

Yep - as others have said, it's really temperature based. If you have a heat lamp available in your coop, you could brood them out there from day one really. If you can't do a lamp in your coop, then it would depend on the temps in your area. The general guideline is 95F the first week, decreased by 5 degrees each week - but there's typically flexibility in that guideline...

Back
Top Bottom