Intorducing young chickens to the rest of the flock

mrcush

Songster
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
Southeast Michigan
I have 2 new baby hens that are about a month old. When I got them the feed store by my house said we could introduce them to the rest of the flock in about 8 weeks or when they are the same size as the others. We already have an outdoor pen for them so they can see each other. And also someone has already suggested to me to introduce them at night. Any other thoughts of suggestions? Also, one of my concerns is the feed. How can I still feed the young ones their starter food and the older ones their laying food? Can I mix it together with the laying feed for all of them or is that bad for the youngins? Any suggestions would help greatly. Thanks!

I was told that the starter feed can be backed off once the chicks start to eat larger things, that the small starter feed is just to help them when they are too little to eat bits of corn and regular sized layer feed. This is only me second round of new chicks so may want an expert to weigh in but I've started mixing layer feed with what's left of my starter feed. I got these chicks in late April so they are about 6 weeks old

You can either feed everyone flock raiser, with separate oyster shell for the hens, or continue to have flock raiser near the babies, and layer in the hen's feeder raised higher off the ground. And with oyster shell available so the hens are covered, because they will also eat the flock raiser. I would NOT mix layer feed with the flock raiser, as that will not be good for the chicks. Mary

Back
Top Bottom