Intractable rooster

I think it's a personal decision to know when he's crossed the line. You'll find every opinion on this site. Some people have no time for mean roosters, which is practical and understandable. We decided to keep ours because we have the luxury to be less practical at the moment, not to mention a 6' fence around the chicken yard so the "Bitter Beaker" can't sneak up on anyone.

Ours is an 8-month Light Brahma. He can be horrible to people but is a sweetheart to his flock. Keeps an eye on the sky, settles nesting box disputes, even accepted a beta cockerel this summer without blood drawn, which was a huge surprise. The 2 make a good team.

Sometimes he's perfectly fine, though he's always got at least one bloodshot, crazy eye on us, ha. This week, the flock had to be wormed after one got sick and the vet found roundworms. Two more pullets are mid-molt. I think the stress turned him into a raging beast. I have peck marks on my hands and shins (not sure why I can't remember not to wear shorts around chickens).

He usually stops hassling if I ignore him, tap his beak, or give him a firm "no." But after being flogged for the 2nd time one afternoon, I finally gently pushed him to the ground and tapped him on the head a few times. Later in the day, the routine was repeated: he kicked, I pressed his body to the ground and tapped his head. When he got up, I tapped his head a few more times as he walked away to make a point. This is similar to what he did to the beta cockerel earlier in the year. There was no holding to the ground, just some chasing and quick pecks to the head.

Beta learned fast. I'm not as good a trainer, but our meanie is being courteous for now. I won’t be surprised when he turns hostile again, whether it happens in a month or later today. Maybe he’ll mellow when he’s older, or maybe he’ll turn into too much. I’m resigned to the fact that he’ll keep us on our toes as long as he’s with us.

In the end, whatever works for you, works for you! Good vibes to you and your flock as you work it out.

Might have solved it alrwady, but what I do is I keep my face away so they can't reach it and just don't let them know that they hurt me. Usually they back off when they think I'm not even feeling their pecks and kicks. If they dobt, then I don't tolerate them any longer. If they do, they get ladies and freedom to live

Back
Top Bottom