Intrducing new chicks to the flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chuntgray, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Chuntgray

Chuntgray Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    I have a flock of 10 chickens, They are just 10 weeks old now. I have gotton two new chicks that are younger. How do I get the new chicks into the flock? Right now I put them in the in-closer in a cage on nice days, I tried letting them out with one hen she wanted to hurt them. Cindy

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    A couple of weeks ago I read on here where they need to be the same size. I tried to mix my 12 week olds with my 8 week olds and the rooster went right after the little ones neck he had a hold of it and would not let go. I had to get it off the her. I gave him away yesterday.

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    They do need to be the same size as the other ones' before you can put them together. You can put them in a cage in the pen with the other's so that they can get used to each other but not get hurt. I have a older flock that I am introducing to my younger flock. I let them all out of there pens together (with the exception of the roo's) in the after noons and they free range for a couple of hours together. The younger one's know just how close they can get to the big girls. So far so good. The older girls have pecked a few times but nothing major. Goodluck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by