Intro and first question

Karelp38

In the Brooder
6 Years
Hi all

I'm new here and also new to chickens.

I'm from South Africa and I have 11 Black Orpingtons.

My aim is to have 50 hens and 10 roosters in addition to some beef, sheep and pigs. (Everything on small scale)

So far I've lost 1 chick to Coccidiosis (I think) and 2 to falcons (Sure about that)

Nowadays my chickens sleep in a stable with nesting boxes and during the day they are in a portable chicken coop, so they are semi-free range.

Now for my questions
big_smile.png

One of my chickens - 8 months old, is sick. Her tail feathers are pulled to one side. Her one eye is mostly closed and her head tends to slowly move to one side all by itself. I've had her in isolation for a week now and she's not deteriorating. I did give her some charcoal flush, but I'm not sure about the dosage so I'm scared to continue with it.

Hope to fit in here.

Cheers.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm from SA also. I'd suggest you post about your hen in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum section. The members there can help you figure out what is wrong with her and you should be able to get medicine for her at your local Farmer's co-op, or what are they called now? Landmark. Best of luck and enjoy the site!

Back
Top Bottom