Intro - Colorado

Welcome Fluff!! You live in a beautiful part of the state. I guess if you have to inherit something from your kids chickens would be in the top 5
big_smile.png
And ditto what Alpine said about your son.

C

Well, in Western Slope terms, you aren't all that far from us....we get to Grand J to shop every month. The Flattops are sort of between Steamboat and Meeker, north of Glenwood.

Thanks for all of the welcomes! I noticed there's quite a range of breeds that everyone has. May I ask why you chose what you have and which ones you prefer? I'm partial to my Buff Orpingtons, and I'm very fond of my last remaining Polish Lace, but I'm looking forward to bringing in some Leghorns and Red Stars.

I really enjoy looking at the chicken houses everyone has. Mine is a concrete block building that was here when we bought the place. It's long enough to have to halves, one we use for the main area for the chickens, geese and turkeys, and the other half when we buy chicks that need to be a bit older before we put them in with the rest of the crew. There's what we jokingly call a 'courtyard' that is entirely fenced, but as I free range them, I stuck a little doorway in the fence. When, the little doorway was demolished by a heifer, so now I can't lock out the coyotes or fox. Luckily, there is a door with a chicken door on the bottom that I lock up at night after counting heads to see if they are all in. I'll have to see if I can find some of my photos and put them up on the 'My Page' link.

Back
Top Bottom