Intro...Hello

birdsoutback

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
Just introducing myself. New to the site and wanted to introduce myself. Currently living in West KY. Been down here for about 19 years now. Have been planning on getting a few birds for about 16 or 17 years now and just got around to it..LOL.. OK; so I been busy...LOL This is the first time I have done this personally. I have worked in commercial hog barns and chicken barns in the past, but never had chickens at home before. I got 6 pullets the other day and have been playing mama to them. Trying to nurture the ladies into being egg layers for me and my family.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock? Congratulations on your new pullets :celebrate Raising chickens is a fantastic experience and I'm sure your going to really enjoy it. You will be saying to yourself "why didn't I do this years ago" The learning centre has some excellent articles on getting started with yiur birds. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicken journey. Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

welcome-byc.gif
So glad you decided to join us.

Sounds like you have loads of experience. But, I know having your own 6 is so much difference than managing large numbers in the past. Personally I had opportunity to be around chickens in large chicken housing, but was so pleasantly surprised to learn how interesting and individual they are with a small backyard flock.

Hope you enjoy the forums.

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

Congratulations on your new birds! I hope they turn into wonderful, productive laying hens.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of pullets did you get?

Thanks! Yeah it is a lot different. I worked 10 hog barns with a 1000 hogs per barn and 6 chicken barns with 30000 per barn. With the 6 I got there is a lot more personal time spent with the chicks. So far it has went well except for the bout of pasty butt I dealt with after the second day. I tried the wet paper towel. That didn't work. Then I soaked their butts in hot water. Running water did not work. Warm water did not work. They didn't seem to mind me holding them while I soaked them in water. It finally broke loose enough where I could get them cleaned up with a wet paper towel. They were not to keen on the blow dryer on low either...LOL 5 of the 6 had pasty butt. Have not had any issues since then.

Back
Top Bottom