Intro to swimming

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mc79, May 18, 2019.

1. mc79

mc79 Songster

Jul 29, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    Hello all! I'm an experienced chicken owner but new to ducks. I just got 2 Khaki Campbell ducklings (a little over a week old I think). I was just wondering how early I can introduce them to swimming (like maybe in the bathtub). I've read several articles online but many contradict each other, so I figured I'd ask here. I already have a ramp and platform to get in and out of the water, but I just didn't know if it was too early to let them try. Also, should the water be warm since they're still babies? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Warm water and start with just up to tops of legs. they will enjoy it and you'll enjoy watching them. Just stay close by. and then place them right back under heat to dry.

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Any water is fine for swimming. Wild Ducks take babies out on totally cold ponds. Just allow them to preen under heat once done swimming...:thumbsup

WannaBeHillBilly, LilyLoo and mc79 like this.
  4. Dees ducks

Dees ducks Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    UK
    I introduced my 5 Cayuga ducklings to water on day 7 in the bathtub with warm water and a couple of bricks in the bottom to act as a platform. The first few seconds they were a bit freaked out however after that they had a great time and just came back to the brick platform when they were tired and had had enough. IMG_20190403_155128.jpg IMG_20190403_155146.jpg

5. mc79

mc79 Songster

Jul 29, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    Thank you all for the info! I put them in the tub the other day, and I have to say I was impressed how easily it came to them. They are already swimming and diving like pros, and they were having so much fun (As was I while watching them play). The only thing I didn't like about it was how much poop was in the tub...that was kind of gross. So I have to do some cleaning after each swim session, but it's worth it!

quackiemama, Texag87 and Miss Lydia like this.
  6. McChics

McChics Songster

Apr 10, 2015
    I've learned in the short time with ducks...A duck has NEVER seen clean water that didn't need to be turned brown/green as soon as possible!

7. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    The water never stays clean for long. :barnie

mc79 likes this.
  8. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    This early.;)
    First day out with mum. Two or three days old.
    P7121438.JPG

mc79 and quackiemama like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: