Intro

tashaner

In the Brooder
May 4, 2018
Rose Hill, KS 67133
Hello;

My name is Tim Shaner. I live in Rose Hill, KS and am just getting started with chickens. I am a retired Police Office now working as a Corrections Officer. My wife, Michele, is a Vet Tech. We live in town so are limited to 4 hens. We are looking at Silkies.

My current coop is a prefab and while it will work for now, I have plans to build a bigger one in the next month or so. I have tons of questions about that..

coop.jpg

Hi Tim and welcome to BYC.

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hello;

My name is Tim Shaner. I live in Rose Hill, KS and am just getting started with chickens. I am a retired Police Office now working as a Corrections Officer. My wife, Michele, is a Vet Tech. We live in town so are limited to 4 hens. We are looking at Silkies.

My current coop is a prefab and while it will work for now, I have plans to build a bigger one in the next month or so. I have tons of questions about that..

View attachment 1378777
Good morning and welcome Tim. First off, thank you for your service. Secondly ... I'm not sure I could have just 4 chickens. I'd either have to move or be a breaker of ordinances...lol.

G'Day 8.jpg

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You may be interested in these links:
Silkie Thread
How Much Room Do Chickens Need

Silkies generally do not roost, they like to pile up together on the floor. With their big crests and beards their vision is obscured. And their wing feathers aren't made for flying.

Back
Top Bottom