Intro...

JenBaker

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Yes, I'm brand new to a life with chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None. I need to learn a few things and then build a coop.

(3) What breeds do you have?
I'm looking to see what type I might want. My newbie desire is to have different color eggs, find the breed (if this is a thing) that will be fine around children, and to discover if I HAVE to have a rooster to keep the hens safe. (I would prefer not to hear one.)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I can't wait to take care of them and watch their different personalities. And, they are an outside animal, which is a plus for me.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love to hand-stamp cards for that ole tradition of communicating by snail mail! LOL

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am a wife to a former Marine, and mother to 4 kids ranging in age from 7 years old to 14 years old (3 boys, 1 girl). I am a high school teacher at a private Christian school where my kids attend. We have tried our hand at owning a dog, but we did not have the time to put into training. So, we found her a lovely forever home. And, now, we have an outside "ferrel" cat that we feed and give water to.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I saw a post on FB about chicken coops. And that led me down a trail to your site. Glad to be here!

Hello, and welcome to BYC. Most roosters only serve as a warning system to the flock and will be the first to save themselves - for a first flock you do not need a rooster.
Thank you for that rooster info! Phew! I wasn't sure if I would have to give up on the idea of chickens altogether. 😄 I look forward to asking you and the community about how to approach getting ready for my "first flock," as you called it. Is there any way to give me some guidelines to know what kind of coop I need to build?

Back
Top Bottom